Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Much better day!!

Amen for better days!

This morning started off back at the radiation oncologist's office where Rion was fitted for his mask and neck rest that he will use during radiation treatments. The mask snaps down onto the neck rest and keeps him from moving his head during the treatments. Also, the mask can be marked on so they don't have to draw all over Rion's head/face & then expect him not to wash it off for 6 weeks.

Here is a picture he is letting me share of him & his "Hannibal Lector" mask:
The technician we worked with today, Dave, was fantastic and had the best attitude of anyone we have met throughout this journey. He is a twin also so him and Rion enjoyed talking about twin things and just joking around. For once we left an appointment laughing and smiling and it felt so good!

Rion's radiation & chemotherapy treatments will begin next Tuesday at 8:35 am. We still have not physically obtained the chemo medication he will be taking but I was warned last Friday by the doctor's office that it can take a little while to get the insurance company approval and have the prescription filled. Thursday (day after tomorrow) we have an appointment with the medical oncologist again to review the lab work from last Friday and go through their chemotherapy education session (sounds similar to what we did at Duke but they require it as well so whatever, I guess you can't learn too much about this stuff!) Hopefully then we will have our prescription or an idea of what the hold up is. Anyone that knows me knows that I worry excessively and the last thing I want is to have to postpone radiation because we didn't get the chemo meds by next Tuesday. I'm sure God is going to work this out, I really need to work more on my faith and quit trying to control all of this myself. Goodness knows I'm not really in control anyways LOL

Back to radiation treatments, normally they will be at the same time of the day for all 30 sessions but the treatment center is having to work us in for the 1st few appointments since they did not know that we (us & Duke) wanted to get started so quickly. The time will fluctuate for the 1st few days and then we will hopefully get our assigned time...please pray they give us 10 or 11 AM since that would work the best with my work schedule and the fact that Rion has to fast for an hour before and hour after; middle of the day would be very difficult for us to work around. But we'll do whatever it takes to get through this next 6 weeks, that's for sure. While Rion and I are still nervous about receiving radiation and the possible side effects, we are re-grouping and re-gaining our strength to get through this. I never really knew what an emotional roller cost was until we started on this journey back in November- I can go from crying to laughing to being sick with fear in a matter of minutes and often for no apparent reason. But that is when I draw on the strength of God and our friends/family and calm myself down enough to cope.

The last little bit of info I wanted to share is a personal praise that I went back to work today. I've been very anxious over this for a myriad of reasons- I've never been away from work this long without being unemployed and I had no idea what to expect once I got back. I had planned to return last week before we found out that Rion's tumor was malignant and would require the additional treatments so I didn't plan ahead to be out this long. But I work with absolutely amazing people who have gone above and beyond to help me out and keep me from coming back to any messes. Today really lifted my spirits to see how much they have done for me and how easy (I think) the transition will be back to working. I also had some anxiety over being that far away from Rion for that long but I think he enjoyed some time without me constantly asking him how he felt or if he needed anything : )

Wow! This is already too long. Nothing else really to report so I'll say good night & Happy Valentines Day. Oh, and he's an awesome "after" MRI picture showing NO MORTON in Rion's head:



Emily

2 comments:

  1. O what a beautiful picture! Praying for you and praising God for full victory. Way back 57 yrs ago my mom was one of the first people to receive radiation for cancer treatment. It was successful. Praying for God's peace as well as for healing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thinking of y'all. LOVE this pic :-) - Carley

    ReplyDelete